User's Guide for
"Why Don't Zebras Play Chess?"
Play the game
This User's Guide explains how to play the game, and tells a little bit about its educational aspect.
About the Game
This is a multi-stage game in which you get clues, solve a logic puzzle, and are rewarded for your efforts
with humorous answers to the question "Why don't zebras play chess?" The game reinforces Jewish identity through
the use of icons with Judaic connections, and the use of a familiar Hebrew word as the game's secret password.
The game's challenge is provided by the logic puzzle.
How to Play
The game has three main components: clues to a logic puzzle, solving the logic puzzle, and a visit to some
hidden web pages.
Clues to a logic puzzle
- Click on NEXT CLUE (middle of right side) and, while holding the mouse button down,
slide the mouse to the left into the large, white, open area. You will see the first clue.
- Slide out more clues. Each time, look to see if any of the clues have matching icons.
- Slide clues with matching icons together. When the matching icons mostly overlap each other,
the two clues will fuse into a single, larger image.
- Assemble the clues to form a 5 x 5 grid.
- There are a total of forty clues, but not all are needed to complete the image.
when you exhaust the clues, the clue area remains blank.
Solving the logic puzzle
- Click on the SOLVE IT button in the middle of the right side. A clue with a missing icon will appear,
along with four buttons showing other game icons. Use the clues that you have assembled into a grid to
decide which icon is the missing one.
- Try out your answer.
- If your answer is correct, you earn a letter in the secret password at the top of the screen.
- Click on SOLVE IT as many times as needed to earn all of the letters to the secret password.
- [key] Click on the key button if you think you recognize the secret password, or you have played before
and already know it. Use the key panel which appears in the middle of the screen to type in the remaining
Visit Hidden Web pages
This button replaces the SOLVE IT button when all the letters of the secret password are displayed.
Click on it to find the answer to, "Why Don't Zebras Play Chess?"
Click on the New Game button in the lower right corner to play again with a new puzzle.
Back to the game
Copyright © 1998 ZigZag, Inc. All rights reserved.