How to Download Hebrew in Hand to a Mobile Device
This page explains how to install Hebrew in Hand on a mobile device. It covers the requirements for the mobile device, downloading the Hebrew in Hand application, and downloading texts. If you encounter a problem with any of these steps, see our FAQ page.
To run Hebrew in Hand, a mobile device must:
- have the ability to connect to the Internet
Generally, devices with an application management system or built-in web browser have the ability to connect to the Internet. Mobile carriers may only permit this with a data plan, or may permit this on request, subject to connection fees.
- support Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME, JavaME) with MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.0 or later. You can simply try downloading Hebrew in Hand and if your device supports MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.0, the download will proceed; if not, the download will fail. To determine your mobile device's capabilities without trying a download (which might incur data charges from your carrier), consult the device specs. (Try a Web search for the model followed by the word "specs".) If the device has some games installed, run one of them; if the Java logo is displayed just before the game starts, then Java is installed.
Downloading Hebrew in Hand
(Note: While Hebrew in Hand is free, your carrier may impose data charges for downloads.)
- Use your mobile device's application management system to go to url http://zigzagworld.com/hih/ (or http://zigzagworld.com/hih/)
- Select "Download Hebrew in Hand"
- If a request for permission appears, respond positively.
- Once the download is complete, respond "yes" to the request to install and run (or launch) Hebrew in Hand
Once Hebrew in Hand has started, you are ready to download texts for display.
- Launch Hebrew in Hand on your mobile device.
- Select "Get Text..." from the main menu to go to the Get Text screen.
- Enter the Text ID for the text you want.
- Select "Get Text" from the menu on the Get Text screen.
- If necessary, grant permission for the download.
The list of available texts is regularly updated. You can download the latest list to your device by selecting "Update List" from the menu on the Get Text screen. Select "Help" from the menu on the Get Text screen to see when you last updated the list on your device.